Thursday, September 11, 2014

Waiting to Go Live

This year, I am going to be using technology in the classroom in a way that I have never used it before.

Have you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall?

I am borrowing a line from one of my summer guilty pleasures...Big Brother....but that is besides the point. My daughter is in school, and I would love to have the opportunity to see activities that I can't take off an hour here or a half hour there. As a teacher, we don't have the luxury of flex time or work from home days. We do have some sick time and personal days, but not enough to take off for every clown parade, or class party.

Where am I going with this? Well, I got an idea to give parents a chance to do what I would love to do. I ask for volunteers to help with the many experiments we do each year, but many parents work. Often I will get a reply stating they would love to but they have to work, or that is not one of their days to work from home, but they would have loved to see the activity. This year, I am going to invite the parents in virtually using a online video conferencing, secure website. The parents will receive an email with a specific website. The website changes each time to help keep it secure. The parents will then be able to log on and watch their child do an experiment or perform a reader's theater that they may not have been able to see otherwise.

Daycare facilities have this capability, as does some dog kennels in wealthy areas, so why not the classrooms where the children spend so much of their time.


No comments:

Post a Comment