Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Probability is LIKELY You Will Have Fun!


We started probability yesterday. This standard always lends itself to different ways to embrace it and have fun in the classroom. I have provided links to two games that I play in class. The one is a whole group game called The Game of Skunk. The students really enjoy it! I have seen it on blogs, but most of them are geared towards middle school. I have played it with fourth and fifth graders and they love it just as much! I then developed a reflections sheet for them to do for homework to apply the vocabulary for probability to the activity. 

To set up for this activity, I make two masters by copying the game board for Skunk on the front of both and then the dice game on the back of one and cards game on the other.  Next, I send them through the copier making half of each (for example if you have 30 students, you would make 15 of one and 15 of the other).

This activity lasted two days. Day one we played Skunk. Day two they turn it over and find a partner with the opposite page (Dice pair up with Cards to play) and play the games using the vocabulary and fractions for probability.

These are both great games to grasp the concept and entertain the students!


Game of Skunk and Reflection


Cards and Dice Game - There are no directions for this game, so I have written some up and attached them here: Directions

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I have played skunk with my students for years. It is nice to have a way to take it up a notch. Will you open up access to the game of skunk and reflection, or did I do something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try to link it differently.
    I am not sure why sharing is restricted.

    ReplyDelete